Thursday, September 3, 2015

Music Camp

This past week, I (Jessica) had the awesome opportunity to help with a classical music camp in Bucharest.  Our friend Susan, who is a missionary in Oradea, came to Bucharest to direct a music camp for children.  I was excited to be invited to help with the camp!  I wasn't sure exactly how I would be helping, so I went in with a plan that I would help wherever I was needed, no matter what that was.



The camp was Wednesday, Aug. 26, through Sunday, Aug. 30, when the children would perform what they had learned in a Sunday morning church service at "Grace Church."  Wednesday - Friday, the schedule was the following:
  9-11 Whole group chorus
  11-12 Theory/Orchestra
  12-1 Bible study/Chorus
  1-2 Lunch/games
  2-4 Recorder/Orchestra/Boom Whackers

 For most of the morning, I sat among the children to help sing so they would hear how the songs go and to help make sure they were paying attention and sitting up straight.   I assisted with the games during lunchtime, which on Thursday & Friday were water games, because it was SO HOT outside.  After lunch, I helped Susan with the Boom Whackers group.  Boom Whackers are plastic tubes of different lengths that make different tones when you hit them against something, like a table.  You play them kind of like you would play bells in a bell choir.  They are also all different colors, according to the note they play.  They look like this:


I wasn't able to attend the camp on Saturday or Sunday, due to other obligations, but I took a lot of pictures and made this video montage for Susan to put on the Jubilate website.  Enjoy!  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment