Tuesday, April 17, 2018

A poem to my daughter on her 17-month birthday (by Cameron)


As I sit and stare into dancing eyes
Taking in the grandeur of the skies,
Tracing the path of a ladybug,
Pressed against Elmo nice and snug,
I think, “Lord, I do not deserve her.”

Tiny hands splashing wild and strong,
Bath water glistens clear and long.
Laughing and smiling incessantly,
She stares into my soul deeply.
And I think, “Lord, I do not deserve her.”

We named you Sara, sweet princess.
Beautiful. Biblical. We liked it best.
We named you Grace to remind us all
The gift of Life we didn’t earn at all.
And I think, “Lord, I do not deserve it.”

O Sara Grace, you’ll never know
The number of times I’ve prayed your soul
Would be saved by the God of grace.
I pray you too will one day see his face
And think, “Lord, I do not deserve you.”

Who knows what adventures will await
In the morning when you wake?
But peaking my head through your door
Just like I did the night before,
I know I’ll think, “Lord, I don’t deserve her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment