Thursday, December 10, 2020

Honor, Shame, and the First Christmas (Part 1: Mother of Mary)

 Read: Luke 1:26-38 

Dear Journal,

            Another confusing day today. I never dreamed I’d be explaining the trimester cycle of pregnancy to Mary. At least not now. My daughter is younger by far than even my second cousin, Miriam, was when she got pregnant. We all know how that turned out. Was it one or two months she had to stay with us because her father couldn’t bear to look at her? I think it was two months. I haven’t seen her since.

            Mary insists that Jehovah has a special plan for her and her child. How am I supposed to tell that to my friends at the well tomorrow morning? Every day they make some sort of comment about how I failed as a mom. I am sure they are right. I know my husband thinks so, too. I know that is why he has become so dismissive of me. Our home has become so quiet.

            The funny thing is that, when I look at Mary, when she is by herself, she seems overjoyed. I can’t understand it. It is like she keeps reliving the dream she had a few months ago.  Back when our lives were normal. Back when I had friends in this town.

            Joseph is an honorable man. One of the most honorable in all Nazareth. Far too good for my sinful daughter. If I were him, I’d be thinking about divorce.

            Time to go. There is washing that needs to be done. Jehovah knows, Mary is too weak to help me.




No comments:

Post a Comment