Sunday, December 13, 2020

Honor, Shame, and the First Christmas Devotional (Part 3: James, cousin of Joseph in Bethlehem)

Read: Matthew 1:18-24 

Dear Journal,

            I cannot believe the shame our family endured today! After arriving yesterday at my aunt’s house, my family and I decided to make the best of our forced family reunion here in Bethlehem. The Roman soldiers along the road stared at us like we were their cattle or something. I’m pretty sure my oldest son saw me stick my tongue out after we passed a centurion just outside Jerusalem.

            Anyway, after a fairly restful night, my wife helped my aunt make breakfast. As we were finishing, though, I heard my cousin, Joseph’s, voice outside the door, asking to come in. My uncle and I answered the door, but I managed to shut it before my small kids could see who it was. 

            Joseph and his childlike bride, Mary, stood shivering quietly. They had obviously traveled all night to make it in time for the census. My uncle just shook his head. What a softie! As Joseph helped Mary back on the donkey, I let him have it. “Do you understand the kind of shame you’ve brought on all of us? Don’t you know you can divorce this Jezebel?I don’t need to tell you that our family honor is at stake here!”

            Joseph’s always been a quiet guy, and always honest. That’s why I was so surprised when he told us that an angel had told him the child inside Mary was the Promised Messiah. I’ve never known him to lie before. But that story was too much for me! Rather than risk arguing more in the street, my uncle and I just closed the door. Maybe Joseph will come to his senses soon. Although, if he came all the way here with the girl, I’m not sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment